Dr. Raghavendra Ramanjulu
Lead Consultant - Palliative Medicine & Rehabilitation
Dr. Raghavendra Ramanjulu is a highly acclaimed Pain and Palliative Physician working as the Lead Consultant Palliative Medicine & Rehabilitation services at Aster CMI Hospital. His areas of special interest are Complex Interactable Symptom Management, Interdisciplinary Pain management, Interventional Pain Management, Palliative Rehabilitation, End of Life care, Extended care at home.
He did his MBBS from Dr.B R Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore, followed by M.D training in Anaesthesia from Shree Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur, Karnataka in 2006. After completing his senior residency at the Department of Neuroanaesthesia from NIMHANS started his carrier as an Anaesthesiologist with a special interest in pain management for a period of 4 years, during which he pursued various chronic pain and palliative care training at the 3 national including the ISSP sponsored fellowship at Sir Gangaram Hospital, New Delhi and the Indian Association of palliative care certification Part 1 &2. The interest to further enhance his knowledge and to pursue pain and palliation as his full-time career he completed his Fellowship training in Chronic Pain management from Postgraduate Medical Institute, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore. He was certified as a fellow in interventional pain management from the World Institute of Pain, USA. He late completed his Diploma in Palliative medicine and then graduated with MSc in Palliative Medicine from Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK. He has been a part of several research projects on brain tumors as well.
An ever enthusiastic professional, he has participated in various programs, attended a number of national and international conferences, and has several publications to his credit. He has conducted several hands-on workshops and has trained several pain and palliative care physicians from across the country.
- Complex Interactable Symptom Management
- Interdisciplinary Pain Management
- Advanced Cancer and Chronic Pain Interventions
- Palliative Rehabilitation
- End Of Life Care
- Extended Care at Home
- European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Asia Pacific Hospice Palliative Care Network (APHN)
- International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care (IAHPC)
- International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP)
- Indian Society for the Study of Pain (ISSP)
- Indian Association of Palliative Care (IAPC)
- Editor INDIAN JOURNAL OF PALLIATIVE CARE
- PEER REVIEWER INDIAN JOURNAL OF PAIN
- SECRETARY INDIAN SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF PAIN KARNATAKA CHAPTER
- TREASURER SOCIETY OF INTEGRATED PAIN AND PALLIATIVE CARE
- Indian Association of palliative care National Faculty
- Member nominated as part of Specialist Board Palliative Medicine to initiative the DNB program in Palliative Medicine
- Education in Palliation and End of life care Master Facilitator
- Treasurer at the Society of Integrated Pain and Palliative care
- Eight rank in M.D Anaesthesiology University exams held during 2006 by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
- Awarded second place for the poster prestation at IAPCON 2020, Bora S, Dutta K. IAPCON 2020: Conference Proceedings. Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2020 Apr;26(2):159.
- Rethink before you Leap: acute abdomen and hemoperitoneum secondary to ruptured liver metastasis – THERE IS A LOT PALLIATIVE INTERVENTION AND CARE CAN DO. Asia Pacific Hospice and Palliative care conference, Singapore 2017.
- Acute Pain Model Using Patient Controlled Analgesia Translated into Palliative Care Pain Management: International Association for the Study of Pain Conference, Yokohama, Japan 2016.
- Clinical Insight: Scalene Syndrome and its relevance in post mastectomy pain. Multinational association for supportive care in cancer meeting (MASCC 2016) Adelaide, Australia.
- THIRD PLACE for the paper “Cost effective continuous Intrathecal analgesia in intractable cancer pain patients” at ISSPCON (National Pain conference) FEB. 2012.
- First place for the Poster “Role of Conventional Airway management in modern Anaesthesia” at KISACON 2009.
- Second place in National Level Quiz competition at (RACE-2006) held at Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai.
- A Study to assess preferences and attitudes of palliative care patients’ and their caregivers towards discussion of anticipatory “Not for cardiopulmonary resuscitation” in a tertiary cancer centre in Bangalore, India.
Training and Courses Attended:
- Trained and Certified for Education in Palliative and End-of –Life care trainers’ program (USA).
- Trained in Children’s Palliative Care program, TATA Memorial hospital’s Mumbai.
- Selected as SPONSERED Fellow at ALL INDIA level by ISSP for FELLOWSHIP IN PAIN program at Sir. Gangaram Hospitals, New delhi.
- Six-month online course in pain medicine from Joshi’s Institute of pain from AUG 2010 to JAN 2011.
- Successfully completed the Certificate course in Palliative care by Indian association of Palliative Care Part 1 & 2.
- Introductory course in pain management organized at Ashirvad pain relief clinic from 16th – 28th November 2009, Mumbai.
- AESCULAP Academies advanced course on Regional Anaesthesia and pain management, 17th – 23rd Mar 2008 at Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore.
- Cadaveric workshop on Interventional pain at the 16th International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative care 12th- 15th February 2009, AIIMS, New Delhi.
- The Fourth Advanced Regional Anaesthesia and Ultrasound Workshop on 8th & 9th August 2009 at CARE Hospital, Hyderabad.
Conferences/ Training Courses Organised:
- Course Coordinator for the Preconference workshop on Interventional Chronic Pain Workshop of 67th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists 2019, Bangalore.
- Organization Team at capacity of Scientific Chair for 34th Annual National Conference of Indian Society for Study of Pain 2019, NIMHANS Convention centre, Bangalore.
- Conducted four Advanced Interventional Workshops BIPCO and RRIPCO at the Advanced learning centre MS.Ramiah Research centre.
- IAPC Course conducted at HCG four consecutive courses in last two years with full attendance.
- Education in Palliation and End of Life care course conducted for 2 years at Cytecare.
Conferences Attended as Faculty:
- Faculty at all the National palliative care conference IAPCON FEB 2013 till IAPCON 2020.
- Faculty at all the National pain conference ISSPCON FEB 2013 till ISSPCON 2020.
- Mentor as part of the Cancer Treatment Centre 4 (CTC4) 2019 sponsored by APHN.
- Faculty at the Indian Cancer Congress 2019, Bangalore.
- Faculty “Pain Management in terminal Cancer Patients” at South Asian pain and Regional conference”, Ahmedabad Aug 2014.
- Faculty at the PAINCON-2019 “Comprehensive Approach to Total Cancer Pain” organised by RAJIV GANDHI CANCER INSTITUTE & RESEARCH CENTRE, New Delhi.
- Faculty at the 2 successive fellowship batches at the university recognised Chronic pain hands on courses 2018-19 & 2019-20.
- Faculty at Simplifying Interventional Pain Science 2020: A Joint Workshop Organised in Collaboration with The Pain Section of Royal Society Of Medicine, London Pain Forum and Education.
- Faculty at CANCON – Consensus Guidelines for management of Oral cancer, July 2019, Bangalore - was a faculty for this Conference.
- Faculty at ECAP, July 11-12, 2017 to 2019 TATA Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
- Faculty as part of the Travelling pain school held at Devraj Urs Medical college and St. Johns Medical college.
- Faculty as part of the First International Online conference of SIPP on improving Safety and patient outcomes in Pain and Palliative Care.
- Faculty at the AIM-P Virtual Pain conference conducted by IPSC India.
- Integration of early specialist palliative care in cancer care and patient-related outcomes: A critical review of evidence; Naveen Salins, Raghavendra Ramanjulu, Lipika Patra, et al.: 2016; Vol: 22(3)252—257.
- Integration of early specialist palliative care in cancer care: Survey of oncologists, oncology nurses, and patients; Naveen Salins, Lipika Patra, MR Usha Rani, SO Lohitashva, Raghavendra Rao, Raghavendra Ramanjulu, Nandini Vallath: 2016;Vol: 22(3)258—265.
- Co Author for FIRST NATIONAL CANCER PAIN GUIDELINES
- Chatterjee, A., Thota, R., Ramanjulu, R., Ahmed, A., Bhattacharya, D., Salins, N., Jain, P., & Bhatnagar, S. (2019). The Indian Society for Study of Pain, Cancer Pain Special Interest Group (SIG) guidelines, for the diagnosis and assessment of cancer pain. Indian Journal of Pain, 33, 1 - 10.
- Ahmed A, Thota RS, Chatterjee A, Jain P, Ramanjulu R, Bhatnagar S, Salins N, Bhattacharya D. Indian society for study of pain, cancer pain special interest group guidelines on interventional management for cancer pain. Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2020 Apr 1;26(2):203.
- Ramanjulu R, Thota RS, Ahmed A, Jain P, Bhatnagar S, Salins N, Chatterjee A, Bhattacharya D. Indian society for study of pain, cancer pain special interest group guidelines on pharmacological management of cancer pain (Part III). Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2020 Apr 1;26(2):191.
- Ramanjulu R, Thota RS, Ahmed A, Jain P, Salins N, Bhatnagar S, Chatterjee A, Bhattacharya D. The Indian Society for Study of Pain, Cancer Pain Special Interest Group guidelines on pharmacological management of cancer pain (Part I). Indian Journal of Pain. 2019 Dec 1;33(4):11.
- Thota RS, Ramanjulu R, Ahmed A, Jain P, Salins N, Bhatnagar S, Chatterjee A, Bhattacharya D. Indian society for study of pain, cancer pain special interest group guidelines on pharmacological management of cancer pain (Part II). Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2020 Apr 1;26(2):180.
- Ahmed A, Thota RS, Bhatnagar S, Jain P, Ramanjulu R, Salins N, Chatterjee A, Bhattacharya D. Indian society for study of pain, cancer pain special interest group guidelines on complementary therapies for cancer pain. Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2020 Apr 1;26(2):198.
- Salins N, Thota RS, Bhatnagar S, Ramanjulu R, Ahmed A, Jain P, Chatterjee A, Bhattacharya D. Indian society for study of pain, cancer pain special interest group guidelines on palliative care aspects in cancer pain management. Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2020 Apr 1;26(2):210.
- Krishna M, Pillalamarri S, Srinivasan S, Michael A, Ramanjulu R. a Model to Provide supportive and care continuity for Palliative care Patients at home. Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2020 Apr;26(2):238.
- Editorial: Ramanjulu R. Palliative rehabilitation: The essence of personalized care. Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2020 Oct 1;26(4):399.